60's, 70's, 80's and 90's Horror Films

Betamax, Laserdisc, blu-ray, dvd also welcome
Fear57

60's, 70's, 80's and 90's Horror Films

Postby Fear57 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:17 pm

Here is a list of some films from the golden ages of horror that you may be interested in. If you have any movies from these decades of time feel free to share them or for fun tell us where the film is at now. Is it still safe in company hands, or has it died out never to be made to DVD?

Psycho: Released in 1960 this film has a huge following and has one of the most shocking and disturbing scenes in film history. Directed by Alfred Hitchcock, who is known for his tales of suspense. By today's standards it's a little corny but that doesn't change the fact that this is a classic and a piece of film history. It spawned 3 sequels (which I think all are good) and a remake (which is not good) and is on DVD along with collector editions.

Diary of a Madman: Released in 1963. Staring American horror icon Vincent Price, this film is sure to haunt almost all who view it. It's hard to tell a background for this film without spoilers so all I can say is to watch it, it is on DVD it is also included in several package collections and the Vincent Price collection.

Night of the Living Dead: Released in 1968 this is the film that gave birth to the modern zombie. Directed by George A. Romero, it quickly became a frighting tale of survival and became a favorite to horror fans. It spawned 4 sequels and a remake. It's free because the original theatrical distributor, the Walter Reade Organization, neglected to place a copyright indication on the prints, but it's also on DVD.

Silent Night, Bloody Night: While filmed in 1970 it would not be released until 1972. It played primarily at drive-in theaters beginning in November 1972 before disappearing into obscurity. The film was later shown on Elvira's Movie Macabre, part of WWOR-TV's Fright Night beginning in 1978, and became a staple of late-night television in the November and December months. While it's not the greatest slasher out there it does hit the creepy tone over and over. It spawned an abysmal remake (personal opinion) in 2014 and a sequel for the remake is already in the works. It has been restored as best it can be and is on DVD, there also several copies uploaded on YouTube which have not been removed.

The Texas Chain Saw Massacre: Released in 1974 this film is a classic in every way and form. It is loosely based off of real life serial killer Ed Gein who wore the flesh of his victims. Since it's release 41 years ago it has spawned a controversial Atari game, 3 sequels, a remake that stared Renée Zellweger and Matthew McConaughey, both before they became mainstream stars, another remake which spawned a sequel itself, along with several toys and collector items. It is on DVD and many collector editions.

Black Christmas: Released in 1974 this Canadian film has always haunted me and its viewers, it holds a special place in my heart. This film is downright scary to watch, the phone calls are straight up horrifying to listen to and the suspense is too great to even describe. This is a piece of film history and a classic. It spawned a remake and is on DVD with several editions. It ads to the effect if you watch it around Christmas time.

Dawn of the Dead: The direct sequel to Night of the Living dead released in 1978. Once again directed by Romero this film hits the heart and drives the viewers into a look at what happens when a good thing doesn't last. It is the first sequel to Night of the Living Dead and a personal favorite for its creepiness and gore effects. A remake in 2004 was released with the same name which is just as good as the original. It's on DVD and has some collector editions.

Halloween: Released in 1978 this film has terrified people for almost 40 years. Released by horror master John Carpenter on a budget of only $300,000 it brought in over $47 MILLION during its release. This is where actress Jamie Lee Curtis got her start. This spawned 7 more sequels, a remake by Rob Zombie also a sequel by Zombie, a game on Atari, several toys and collectables, a huge following and to this day is still going strong. It is obviously on DVD and comes in collection film sets as well.

Halloween II: Released in 1981 it is a direct sequel to the first and picks up exactly where the first left off. While not as good as the last film, it still gets the job done. Unlike the first, this was only written and produced by John Carpenter. On DVD.

Halloween III: Season of the Witch: Released in 1982 this film caused great confusion. How can a movie titled to be a sequel be about something completely different? Well there is a rumor that the director sent the title in as "Halloween: Season of the Witch" however the billing company titled it "Halloween III: Season of the Witch." The goal for the director was to make a movie each year about a different tale and make a Halloween collection, obviously since the bill came back wrong that put a stop to that. This has nothing to do with the first two, but is still a good film on its own with an ending that still haunts me. On DVD.

The Thing: Released in 1982 and directed by John Carpenter it is a loose remake of "The Thing from Another World" from 1951. This frozen terror has spawned a sequel/remake and a direct sequel in the form of a video game "The Thing." If alien life forms are your thing, this one is for you. On DVD and special editions.

Day of the Dead: Released in 1985 this film is the most memorable of them all, from it's haunting intro to it's creepy exit this film is a must for gore and zombie lovers. It is the second sequel to Night of the Living Dead. It received a remake along with a sequel to the remake. On DVD.

Rawhead Rex: While released in 1986, it would not see a U.S. release until 1987. This film is a British/Irish horror film based on the short story of the same name by Clive Barker which was featured in his Books of Blood series. While Barker himself was not happy with how the monster looked (he describes Rawhead as a 9 ft tall phallus with teeth) it has a gathering of people that like it, myself being one (Rawhead's my avatar picture.) This film was released on DVD in the U.S. in 1999 and suddenly stopped print, there are almost no copies for sale to find and a new copy could cost you up to $260 a used copy could cost you $110! Thankfully there is a copy for free on YouTube that has not been removed since it has been posted, let's hope it stays there.

Hellraiser: Released in 1987 this British horror film written and directed by Clive Barker gathered a huge following in the U.S. and world wide for that matter. Made on a budget of only $1 million, it brought in over $16 million on release. It is closely adapted to Mr. Barker's novel "The Hellbound Heart" with only a few changes being made for it to be a movie. Since it's release it has spawned 8 sequels, several toys and comic books. This is where actress Ashley Laurence got her start and actor Doug Bradley would be known for his role as the iconic Pinhead. It is on DVD and a few special editions are out there.

Hellbound: Hellraiser II: Released in 1988 this was only produced by Clive Barker. It is considered one of the most shocking and original sequels to a film. I would strongly disagree with that, it feels rushed and sloppy and there's plot holes everywhere but it is still a deliciously gory film and a good film at that. It is on DVD and a combo pack with the first.

Hellraiser III: Hell on Earth: Released in 1992 and only produced by Barker this film is known for how bad it is. It was the first Hellraiser film to be made outside of the U.K. The story is lacking, the acting is bad and the scenes are laughable, this is to be considered a dumb fun film, but the atmosphere oozes the start of the 90's and that's what gives this film charm, so grab that popcorn. It does exist on DVD but it's a little hard to find and a little pricy for a new copy which is around $40, it's only a bare bones DVD. VHS quality, 4:3 ratio, no features or options, you can also find it in a combo pack.

Hellraiser: Bloodline: Released in 1996, this film makes up for the last one and tells a beautiful back story, it makes this film both a prequel and a sequel. This was the last Hellraiser film to get a theatrical release and the end of Hellraiser, but we already know that if someone wants money they will make another, this was the last film Barker worked on, which is why I do not dare to see anything past this one. On DVD and a combo pack.
Last edited by Fear57 on Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Ben

Re: 60's, 70's, 80's and 90's Horror Films

Postby Ben » Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:01 pm

Rawhead Rex I've never heard of and Diary of a Madman I've never seen. Gotta check them out. The only ones out of these I own on video are Halloween & Halloween 2. I have the anchor bay releases from the 90s (with the hideous Halloween 2 cover). TCM and Psycho 2 are in my list of all time favorites.

Here are some obscure movies I've seen recently that I recommend. Some of these never got a DVD release.

Honeymoon Horror 1982 (MUST SEE) - Saw the last half hour along time ago and it took me forever to track it down since it never got a dvd release. Now it's on YouTube

The Prey 1984 (pretty good) - Slow paced camping slasher. Has a Just Before Dawn feel to it. On YouTube

The Mutilator 1985 (MUST SEE) - Awesome stuff. This one is twisted. Brutal gore.

Scalps 1983 (MUST SEE) - Scalps has a really thick uneasy atmosphere. The music really sets this one apart. And the cheap low budget feel. Not to mention an awesome cover (VHS release of course)
--
Sent from my Motorola 8000X

Fear57

Postby Fear57 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:12 pm

Ben wrote:Rawhead Rex I've never heard of and Diary of a Madman I've never seen. Gotta check them out. The only ones out of these I own on video are Halloween & Halloween 2. I have the anchor bay releases from the 90s (with the hideous Halloween 2 cover). TCM and Psycho 2 are in my list of all time favorites.

Here are some obscure movies I've seen recently that I recommend. Some of these never got a DVD release.

Honeymoon Horror 1982 (MUST SEE) - Saw the last half hour along time ago and it took me forever to track it down since it never got a dvd release. Now it's on YouTube

The Prey 1984 (pretty good) - Slow paced camping slasher. Has a Just Before Dawn feel to it. On YouTube

The Mutilator 1985 (MUST SEE) - Awesome stuff. This one is twisted. Brutal gore.

Scalps 1983 (MUST SEE) - Scalps has a really thick uneasy atmosphere. The music really sets this one apart. And the cheap low budget feel. Not to mention an awesome cover (VHS release of course)

Oh yeah, forgot to mention that Diary of a Madman is also on YouTube. I've seen Just Before Dawn and Honeymoon Horror rings a bell. I just found Mutilator and am watching it now, there's so much you can find on YouTube.

Ben

Postby Ben » Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:10 pm

Yeah YouTube is great for finding old horror. The only downside is that a lot of them are vhs rips the compression makes them look like ass.
--
Sent from my Motorola 8000X

LittleHelperJesse

Postby LittleHelperJesse » Wed Jul 01, 2015 6:01 am

I've watched most of the films on your list, Fear57, except for Diary of a Madman (which I will have to check out), Rawhead Rex and the Hellraiser sequels (the first is fantastic and wierd).

My favorite horror films are Nosferatu (made in the '20s, so I guess it doesn't TRULY belong in this topic) Psycho, Night of the Living Dead, and The Texas Chain Saw Massacre. I am a huge fan of backwoods horror/slasher films as well, as I think they are a purer form of slasher. Horror is great when it comes knocking on the door of suburbanites and party people, but being lost and alone and being chased by a madman (or frightening backwoods twins) is truly frightening to me. The Hills Have Eyes is close up on my favorites list, but can't compete with TCM.

AustinLey

Postby AustinLey » Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:07 pm

I just love the 70's and 80's era horror movies. Does anyone know if a great place online where people selling those VHS tapes might hang around at? I regret not saving a lot of those tapes and I'd love to have them again.

MORTON

Postby MORTON » Mon May 20, 2019 10:23 am

I utilize similar ones that Jason utilizes in the image and I additionally use at any rate 2 cinches. I am new to this additionally and committed the error of just utilizing one clasp gives simply state I a chance to will never commit that error again.

Return to “VHS horror”